We all know that traditional door locks can be easily break. So if you are always worried about your home security, then the most secure smart door lock is a simple solution for you. Now you may be wondering, what is a smart door lock and which is the best smart lock for front door?
A smart door lock is an electromechanical lock designed to provide security by locking and unlocking the door when it receives information from an authorized device. It also sends alerts to you if any unauthorized activity happens.
To help you in purchasing the best one, we have curated a list of top rated Keypad and keyless door locks for your Smart Home. In this list, you will also find some smart door locks compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit and Airbnb(vacation rental property). So, let’s have a look at some of the best smart front door locks listed here.
Best Smart Lock for Front Door 2020
Smart Lock Buying Guide
- What to consider when buying a smart lock?
- How are smart locks a better choice?
- Are smart door locks safe?
- Can smart locks be hacked?
- Which smart lock should you buy?
- Things you need to consider before installing smart locks.
#1. August Smart Lock Pro + Connect Works With Alexa, Google Assistant and HomeKit
Using August smart lock Pro + connect, you can turn your front door into a smart door. You can now monitor and control your house door from wherever you are with DoorSense technology from August. It tells you if your door is locked or not. Further, it closes the door as you step out and unlocks it when you approach back. It even works with three major voice platforms – Alexa, Siri, and Google Home. Thus, you can lock/unlock your door with your voice.
With this smart security door lock, you can control keyless access and keep an eye on the activity at your doorstep from your smartphone. You can give keyless access entry to your friends and schedule access for your home service. You can install it in about 10 minutes. It easily attaches to your existing single-cylinder deadbolt without any replacement of your old lock.
- Auto lock and unlock.
- The smart lock works with Alexa, Siri, Google Home, August Home App for devices with Android 5.0 or higher, iOS 9.0 or higher, and Apple Watch.
- Compatible Standards: Bluetooth, Apple HomeKit, Z-Wave Plus, Wi-Fi.
Buy it from Amazon
#2. August Smart Lock – 3rd Generation for Alexa, Google Home and Airbnb
Use your phone as a key and make a keyless entry into your smart home. If you have a guest at home and your away, then you can send guest keys right from the August Home App. It also lets you grant access for a few minutes, hours, days, or weeks.
It is designed with DoorSense technology which features a magnetic sensor. This sensor can detect when the door is actually closed before locking. You can even set a timer for instant locking so that it will automatically lock if you leave.
You will need Connect Wi-Fi bridge to control it with Voice assistant devices such as Alexa and Google Assistant. With the use of a hub, you can also make this smart door lock work with Airbnb (vacation rental property) and HomeAway and allow rental owners to send virtual keys to guests post-booking. Later when your guests have left the premises, you can use another virtual key to cleanup crew for preparing the property for the next arrival.
- Keeps track of activity at your doorstep.
- Works with your existing lock and keys so you can also continue using your keys.
- Compatible with Nest.
- It requires Android 5.0 or higher and iOS 9.0 or higher devices for August App.
- Compatible Standards: Bluetooth
Order it from Amazon
#3. August Keyless Smart Door Lock for Home Security – 2nd Gen
This smart lock from August is battery operated. Thus, it does not require any wire or connection for installation. Moreover, you can use your existing door hardware for its fitting. It just replaces the interior side of a deadbolt.
You can connect this smart lock to your mobile phone via Bluetooth. It then opens the door to keyless access. Your door automatically locks and unlocks when you leave and enter the house respectively. Additionally, you can also generate virtual keys for guests or family members so that they can open the door even when you are not at home.
- 24/7 activity tracking.
- Auto lock – auto unlock.
- Works with Apple HomeKit and Alexa but requires a hub.
- Compatible Standards: Bluetooth
Shop it from Amazon
#4. Yale Assure Lock With Touch Screen Keypad Door Lock
Get free from fumbling your keys every time you enter or leave your house by installing this keypad door lock from Yale. You can create a 4-8 digits pin code on this touchscreen backlit keypad and also generate different pin codes for your friends or family members with the Yale Secure App. It also lets you lock the door by tapping the keypad with three fingers.
If you use an Apple TV (4th Generation or higher), you can access your door from anywhere with your iPhone, iPad or iPad Touch. You can ask Siri to open/close the door with your voice. Moreover, it also gives you the benefit of creating some dynamic scenes like “Going to Bed” – this will lock the door, turn off the lights, and even adjust your thermostat if you have one.
- Touchscreen backlit keypad to create about 250 unique pin codes.
- One-touch locking.
- Auto Relock.
- Works with Apple HomeKit, SmartThings Hub and Wink.
- 9V Battery Backup.
Purchase it from Amazon
#5. 925 Kevo2 Db L03 Smart Door Lock
Protect your smart home with the 2nd generation smart door lock from Kevo. With advanced SmartKey technology, this smart lock works as a strong resistant against forced entry techniques like lock picking or bumping.
It is a touch-to-open Bluetooth smart lock that detects you and your phone when you approach near the door and will unlock it as soon as you touch it. Hence, you don’t need to take out your phone for unlocking. Moreover, it also identifies whether you or your phone are inside or outside the house before unlocking. The Kevo app sends you notifications regarding the activity taking place at your doorstep.
- Touch-to-open system.
- Send and accept eKeys.
- Detects your location.
- Works with Amazon Alexa but requires Kevo Plus hub.
- Compatible with Android 5.0 or higher and iPhone 4S or higher devices.
- Smart Home Compatibility: Amazon Alexa, Ring Doorbell, Skybell, Nest Learning Thermostat, select Honeywell thermostats, Android Wear, and IFTTT.
Buy it from Amazon
#6. Schlage BE479 Sense Smart Deadbolt Lock for Main Door
Make your life easier with the Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt lock. Using a touchscreen, you can enter the access code and unlock your main door. Once you set up this door lock, you can use it with the Schlage Sense App directly from your Android and iOS devices.
It features an inbuilt alarm technology that detects forced door attacks and thus keeps your house safe. To make it work with Alexa and HomeKit, you need to buy and install a Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter. You can also pair this smart main door lock with your Apple TV or iPad and give voice commands to Siri for locking/unlocking the door.
- Built-in alarm technology.
- Touchscreen keypad.
- Controls access to your door.
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Siri (requires Wi-Fi adapter for Alexa & Apple TV for Siri).
Order it from Amazon
#7. Ultraloq UL3 BT Keyless Smart Lock
It features OLED display, weather-proof design, reversible handle, long battery life, and low battery alarm to provide you all the necessary comfort. Its advanced fingerprint identification technology makes use of scratchproof, waterproof, and dustproof sensor to ensure that your door opens only with the recorded fingerprint.
Its knock-to-open function unlocks the door by knocking on your phone four times. If you are an iPhone user, you get a shake-to-open function which unlocks the door on a single shake of your phone. With the Ultraloq App, you can view the activity log of your door and even the users who left or entered the house.
- Knock-to-open (for Android users) & Shake-to-open (for iOS users).
- Anti-peep password Protection function makes sure that any stranger cannot steal your passcode.
- Fingerprint identification.
- Compatible Standards: Bluetooth.
Shop it from Amazon
#8. Schlage Connect Z-Wave Smart Lock
Do you often lose your key? If yes, here is the smart lock from Schlage that frees you from the worries of keeping your keys always in place. It offers keyless access to your house’s front door.
It also obeys your voice commands with the support of Amazon Alexa. You simply need to setup Wink or SmartThing hub for this feature to function. It is battery operated and fits any standard door prep. This smart lock also boasts a touchscreen keypad and a lock cylinder for your convenience. Moreover, the touchpad is fingerprint-resistant and smudge-resistant. Thus, intruders cannot detect the codes.
With in-built alarm sensor, it alerts you about the activities going on at your door. You can select any one of the three available alarm alert modes – activity, tampering or forced entry. The Z-Wave technology automatically connects to your home automation system and lets you access the door remotely from wherever you are.
- Built-in alarm.
- Fingerprint and smudge resistant touchscreen keypad.
- Z-Wave technology.
- Easy installation.
- Works with Alexa via SmartThings, Wink or Iris.
Purchase it from Amazon
#9. Schlage BE365VCAM619 Wireless Smart Lock With Keypad
This smart lock from Schlage is designed to coordinate the look throughout your home. It comes with a silicone-coated number pad that prevents numbers from wearing off even after multiple uses. Moreover, this lock does not require any wiring for its installation. It simply fits on the standard doors.
The number pad is pre-programmed with two access codes so that it can be helpful for immediate use. You can create as well as delete access codes for your friends and family members.
In addition to this, the backlit keypad gives you easy access even in the dark. Since it is battery operated, the low battery indicator notifies you when the battery is about to exhaust.
- Backlit number pad.
- Wireless installation.
- Low battery indicator.
Buy it from Amazon
#10. Nest x Yale Smart Lock for Google Home
Free yourself from the hassles of hiding your keys under the doormat or a flower vase outside your front door. Bring home Yale’s smart door lock with Nest Connect and get keyless access to your house.
Now you can lock and unlock the door from anywhere with your voice command using Google Assistant or with the help of Nest App on your smartphone. You can give the passcode to friends or family members to enter your house when you are away. You also receive a notification when someone comes or leaves your home.
Moreover, its one-touch locking enables you to tap and lock the door. It can also lock the door automatically when you are away.
- One-touch lock.
- This smart lock is compatible with Google Assistant and Nest Secure alarm system.
- Gives alerts when someone locks or unlocks the door.
Order it from BestBuy
#11. AirLocking Smart Lock for Airbnb (Vacation Rentals)
AirLocking offers you a smart lock system which you need to connect to the internet. Then, you can link your smart lock with the Airbnb calendar. Here, you can book the dates on which guests are going to arrive at your house.
This locking system sends door codes to the guests via an e-mail. You will also get an email with an acknowledgement that your guests have arrived. AirLocking will enable the code when the guests arrive and disable it automatically when they leave. It also permits you to have your own unique codes for keyless access.
- Keyless entry.
- Sends door codes to guests through e-mail.
- Enables and disables codes automatically.
Buy it from Amazon
#12. Samsung SHS-3321 Digital Door Lock
Featuring a sleek and modern design, this smart digital lock from Samsung perfectly blends with your house’s interior as well as exterior part. It is tested to be bump-proof, pick-proof, and truly secured.
Its digital touchscreen numeric keypad lets you enter the passcode or RFID to get into your house. This number pad is equipped with blue backlighting to give easy access even in the dark. While moving out of the house, you just need to shut the door. The incorporated magnetic sensor automatically locks the door.
- Touchscreen numeric keypad.
- Battery dead alarm.
- Away mode and silent mode.
- Prank and abnormal high-temperature warning.
Order it from Amazon
Smart Door Lock Buying Guide
#1. What to consider when buying a smart lock?
Want to protect your house with a smart lock? Well, here are a few things you need to consider before getting one.
- Usually, smart locks available in the market are compatible with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi networks.
- Bluetooth connection keeps your smart lock in communication with other smart home gadgets whereas Wi-Fi connection helps you control the smart lock while sitting at a long distance. So, check the connectivity range before making the purchase.
- We install smart lock so that we can manage it from wherever we are i.e. access it remotely. So, this is a must-have functionality of a smart lock.
- If your smart lock offers remote access, you can configure alarms, set passcodes for guests or friends, lock or unlock the door, open door for the quick exit during emergencies, and even keep a watch on who comes and goes.
- Remote accessibility varies from one smart lock to another. So, pick the one that suffices your needs.
Security Features: As the smart lock is designed to provide your house security against intruders, the main feature that it must have is selecting people who can access it. Meaning, you must have the right to choose the people who can access the smart lock in your absence.
Compatibility with Existing Lock Framework: Smart locks come as a single unit. You need to fix them in your existing lock system. Thus, it becomes extremely important to check whether the lock you are buying will fit your existing door lock.
#2. How are smart locks a better choice?
- Unlike traditional locks, smart locks offer you the convenience to let someone enter your house even when you are sitting miles away.
- With smart locks, you can free from the worries of losing keys and the hassles of fumbling for keys whenever you get back home.
- Some smart locks prevent burglars from intruding, snapping or picking up the locks.
- All these make smart locks a better choice.
#3. Are smart door locks safe?
- Yes, they are! However, there are a few drawbacks too.
- Some smart locks require you to use your smartphone to lock/unlock the door. Locks from certain brands automatically sense the presence of your phone and unlocks
.Well, this lends you into trouble in case your phone is stolen.
- There are chances that your smart lock can be hacked. Most of the smart locks are hacked due to plain text passwords, device spoofing, and replay attacks.
- Since smart locks often fit in the existing deadbolt, the level of security provided by them is equal to that of traditional locks. Meaning, burglars can easily remove such kind of smart lock.
#4. Can smart locks be hacked?
There have been cases that prove that smart locks can be hacked. This can be mostly due to the carelessness of the owner. Some of the major possibilities that result in a smart lock getting hacked are:
- Setting a plain text password or a passcode that someone can guess easily
- Device Spoofing: Trying to intrude by disguising as a known source.
- Replay Attacks: Wrong passcodes are provided repeatedly to cause the failure of the system
#5. Do all smart locks require a hub?
- If you already have an existing hub, ensure that the smart lock you buy is compatible with it or not.
- Some smart locks support Bluetooth and work easily with your phone without any need of hub.
- So, whether it will require a hub or not depends on your choice of the smart lock.
#6. Why you need a smart lock?
- Smart locks are designed to make your everyday life simpler and add convenience. With functionalities like remote access and voice control, you can manage this smart lock from wherever you are once it is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- They add style to your door. Yes, smart locks are built to have ultra-modern designs. Moreover, they fit your existing lock system without any need for alteration.
- You can be free from the hassles of losing keys or hiding it behind the doormat for your kids or family members to unlock the door while you are away. Smart locks offer you with guest access. Again, you can manage it while sitting at a distance and give access only to those whom you want.
- Since smart locks are costly, you must first pen down your needs and then invest in buying it.
#7. Which smart lock should you buy?
- Depending on your choices, here are some recommendations to help you get the best smart lock.
- Smart Locks with keypad: Yale Assure Lock, Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt Lock, Schlage Connect Z-Wave Smart Lock,Schlage Wireless Smart Lock With Keypad, Samsung Digital Door Lock, and Nest x Yale Lock are some of the best smart locks with keypad available on the market. All of them require either a smart home hub or Wi-Fi. You can check them in detail here.
- Smart Locks that use Nest Products: Nest x Yale Lock is the one that works with Nest Products. It requires NesT Secure Alarm system.
- Smart Locks with Auto-Lock/Unlock: If you want your door to automatically lock or unlock itself when you come and go from the house, the best option we have for you includes smart locks from August Smart Lock Pro +, August 2nd Gen, August Smart Lock – 3rd Generation. 925 Kevo2 Door Lock is also a good option, but it features touch-to-open system.
- Cheap Smart Locks: August 3rd Gen, Schlage Connect, and Schlage Wireless Smart Lock are the cheapest options available under $150.
#8. Things you need to consider before installing smart locks.
Here are a few things you need to keep in mind before installing a smart lock.
- As smart locks are battery-operated, make sure that you use good batteries.
- See to it if the lock is aligned correctly or not. If you require to push the door to lock it, you must fix it before installing a smart lock.
- Take care that there is no decoration near to your door that might hinder the functioning of a smart lock.
- It is recommended to buy the same brand lock that your house currently uses because many locks let you use the same old keys.
- In case you want to keep existing deadbolt but require the convenience of a smart lock, you can buy a ‘Smart Lock Conversion Kit’.
Check Other Smart Home Products:
- Best Thermostat for Alexa
- Best Smart Light Switches For Alexa
- Best Smart Plug for Alexa
- Best Smart Doorbells Camera
- Best Smart Alarm Clocks
- Best Robot Vacuum Cleaners
- Best Robotic Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair
- Best Smart Light Bulbs For Amazon Echo
- Best Wi-Fi Smart Plugs For Amazon Echo Devices
- Best Wi-Fi Outdoor Outlets
Which one have you selected as a security measure for your home from this list of the best smart door locks? Do write to us about your choices and views in the comments section.